(MAY 2019) UPDATE: PLEASE NOTE THAT THE GRANT PROGRAM IS CLOSED TO NEW APPLICANTS, BUT WE ARE LEAVING THIS INFORMATION POSTED AS A COMMUNITY RESOURCE.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
Public-school systems, local governments, and 501(c)(3) charitable organizations in the Community Foundation's service area of the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg, and Richmond as well as the counties of Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, and Powhatan are invited to apply to the RVA Solar Fund. Additionally, K-12 public school districts and local governments from the counties of Amelia, Charles City, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Essex, Gloucester, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, New Kent, Northumberland, Prince George, Richmond, and Westmoreland also are eligible.
Process and Key Dates
Applicants’ non-binding Notices of Interest (NOIs) initiating the grant process must be submitted by 5:00 PM on January 15, 2019. NOIs are submitted via the Community Foundation’s grant applicants’ portal. The “Get Started” link at the bottom of this page will take you their landing page. Interested applicants should complete this process as soon as possible in order to allow their governing bodies sufficient time to review and vote on this opportunity.
Submitting an NOI requires creating a point of contact, identifying properties that may be candidates for solar power installations, submitting electric bills for those properties, signing a non-disclosure agreement, and signing a utility data access form. Public agencies should also obtain confirm their use of the cooperative procurement option. As soon as an NOI is submitted, technical staff will analyze the solar power potential of the properties and invite those with good potential to obtain a comprehensive solar feasibility study ($100 fee required) and proceed to a PPA and the final grant application.
- PPAs should be executed by May 31, 2019.
- Final grant applications are due by 5:00 PM on June 13, 2019.
- Grant winners will be notified by June 30, 2019.
- Installations of solar arrays will commence during the winter of 2019-20 and complete in 2020.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
- Program staff held an informational webinar for potential applicants and other interested parties on November 29 at 11:00 a.m. Contact us to receive the slideshow from that event.